Edible Cannabinoid Products

A new State law was enacted at the end of the 2022 legislative session allowing certain edible and beverage products infused with tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) to be sold. In July 2022, the St. Joseph City Council adopted a temporary moratorium on the sales of these products for a period of 1 year. At their August 7th meeting, the City Council voted to adopt an ordinance that would repeal the moratorium in its entirety, making the sale of Edible Cannabinoid Products legal in the City of St. Joseph. 

State law transferred legal authority of Edible Cannabinoid Products to the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH). 

Registration for Retailers

All establishments selling low-potency hemp products containing THC, CBD, or both, must register with MDH by October 1, 2023. There is no cost to register. Once registration is complete, the owner will receive a registration certificate via e-mail. The certificate contains a unique ID number and will be proof of registration. Make sure to keep a copy for your records. Further questions on the registration process can be directed to MDH by emailing health.hempedibles@state.mn.us

Hemp Derived Cannabinoid Products Business Registration Form

Learn More

Hemp-Derived Cannabinoid Product Compliance Fact Sheet

Edible Cannabinoid Products: Information for Businesses

Edible Cannabinoid Products: Frequently Asked Questions

Cannabis Tax Information

Submitting Edible Cannabinoid Product Complaints

If a person suspects that an edible cannabinoid product is being sold in violation of the provisions of Minnesota Statutes section 151.72, they can use the complaint form below to report the issue to MDH. The person submitting the form will be asked to supply their contact information, the location of the alleged violation, along with a summary of the concern. You may be contacted by an MDH representative if additional information is needed. 

Edible Cannabinoid Product Complaint Form

Information on Adult-use Marijuana can be found on the Office of Cannabis Management Website. The website includes information on licensing, rules, adult use, and other topics.